Sunday, February 1, 2009

Another Recipe You Can't Eat

Some of my family have requested this recipe so here it is. I hope the rest you do not find it too boring. I have been using this recipe for about 2 months, I wanted to find out how it worked before I recommended. So far I love that this saves money. I have not really seen a difference in my laundry being any cleaner or dirtier so I can't complain. This is mostly to save money and I have even had a few comments said that it is not a big savings, and they are right it is not a big savings per month but I was thinking about over the year or years. It is such a simple thing to do so I save a few buck a month without it being a pain.
Laundry Soap

Ingredients:

1 bar soap - Fels Napatha
1 cup Borax
1 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
A container with a lid.

These are the supplies needed. Here are the details.

Fels Napatha- bar soap is the best kind to use because it is soap based, other bar soaps are not completely soap based so it is probably best to only use them on skin. This bar soap says right on the package that it is a stain remover for laundry. I found this soap in the laundry aisle at Macey's. You may have to search for this or I have heard that you can buy it online. It costs around 1.24 a bar. If you can't find it an optional bar soap is Zote. I have never tried Zote so I can't tell you whether it works as well but it is also soap based.

Use a cheese grater to grate the bar soap. (This actually sharpens your cheese grater) You will get something that looks like cheese! Grate the whole bar and then rub a handful in your palms till you get a finer powder. This will make sure that the pieces are small and can dissolve easier in your washer.

Borax- You can find it in the laundry aisle at wallmart or elsewhere, this shouldn't be too hard. It is around $2.50 a box and can be used for many cleaning purposes. It is used as a deodarizer, stain remover and detergent booster.

Washing Soda- This is not the same as baking soda, but I have read that baking soda can actually boost any laundry soap so if you want you can through some into your mixture. The cost is around $2.50 a box.

This is an optional ingredient that I threw into my mixture, it is also a powder.

After you have all your desired ingredients in your container just stir them around to mix them up. They are ready to be used. I happen to have an HE washer and so I only need to use one heaping Tablespoon full of this laundry soap. If you do not have and HE washer, you should use double so 2 Tablespoons will do the trick. This is because an HE washer uses less water.

Ok here are a few more details. I have not tried this yet but I am going to when I use up all my dryer sheets. You can actually use white vinegar for laundry softener! If you want to get extra creative you can add a couple of drops of essential oil to the white vinegar to make it whatever scent you want. White vinegar is a deodarizer and you can put it in the tray like you would your laundry softner if you have an HE washer or you can use it in a Downy ball so that it only comes out in the spin cycle.
NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT- NEVER MIX VINEGAR AND BLEACH TOGETHER- IT CREATES A DEADLY GAS. Also like any other laundry detergent, it is not safe for children to eat.

The exciting news is that for about $1.75 you can wash aprox. 32 loads of laundry.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

You have so much energy! I am amazed.

This sounds great and so inexpensive. My mom raves about many of these products. I'm a total Oxi freak. It gets almost ALL stains out.

Soccer

Soccer
Halen finished up the soccer season last week. This was his third season and he was pretty agressive trying to help his team. He broke his pinky finger being goalie, but it didn't hold him back too much. Grandma and Grandpa Gerber and Jensen came to cheer him on. On one of the days that it looked as if the game would be cancelled due to rain, he said "Oh no, soccer is my life!" His sense of humor has been really something else this summer and he has said many things that have made us laugh.

Aubrie

Aubrie
Aubrie enjoyed all the camping trips this summer her favorite spot was Joe's valley.

Halen

Halen
Halen loved fishing this summer at Pete's Pond near Joe's Valley.

Disney Trip

Disney Trip
We had a blast at Disney Land celebrating Ty's graduation. September 2008.

Disney

Disney
Just plain old goofy!

California Adventure

California Adventure
We loved the weather and had a great time at California Adventures.

Titan

Titan
Titan is our new pup we got in April. The kids love him.